Featured Post

Books Finished vs. Books Reviewed

So I am completely finished reading 8 books. I am working on two books right now. I gave up on the audio I was trying to listen to. I have n...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dewey

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World was wonderful. I knew that I would love Dewey's story. People that never talked about cats with me were raving about it. Those that knew how much I loved cats sought me out when they finished it. I held out for over a year because I knew how Dewey's story must end. Anyone that has ever had an animal, excepting some long-living birds, knows that we outlive the animals that we love so much. It was not until Vicki was kind enough to write Dewey's Nine Lives that I finally decided it was time to read about Dewey. I have never made a better choice. Dewey shares all the wonderful things that make cats amazing. But he is also rather extraordinary. The very fact that he survived long enough to be found by the Librarian was a miracle. He worked many miracles through his time as a Library cat. Everything from cheering up Library patrons to bringing together the staff of a library despite all their differences and changing the lives of the children and even their parents as they visited him. Dewey's story is something that everyone in Spencer, Iowa should be proud of. However, I doubt many of us would have ever heard of him if his equally amazing Vicki had not written so openly and beautifully about him. We get glimpses of his life, and into hers that must have taken a lot of courage to write. I am very glad I had the courage to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment